The Y offers a wide range of swimming options for the whole family.
Swimming builds self-confidence and develops the whole person – spirit, mind and body. Classes are divided into ability groups and trained instructors emphasize personal safety, swimming skills, endurance and social skills while guiding students with praise and encouragement.
What Y Swim Lessons class is best for my child?
The Y offers swim lessons for all ages and abilities. Contact your local Y and our Aquatics team will help to place your child in class an appropriate for your child’s swimming ability.
- Parent-Child classes are taught as a combined class for ages 6 to 36 months with the parent accompanying the child in the water. Skills are introduced at the child’s development level and build on each other as the child progresses. Basic water skills are taught through fun songs and games. Ratio: 1:12
- PIKE (Beginner) Children adjust to the water and develop independent movement. Teaches basic stroke and kicking skills, floating, and pool safety.
- EEL (Intermediate Beginner) For children who are comfortable in the water and able to swim five feet with faces in the water and no flotation device. Children are taught to float, kick, and perform progressive arm movements across the pool.
- RAY / STARFISH (Advanced Beginner) For children who can swim 15 feet with faces in the water and no flotation device. Reviews and improves stroke skills on front, back and side, builds endurance, teaches treading water skills.
- POLLIWOG (Beginner) Swim placement required if you have no taken YMCA swim lesson in the last year. Beginner level for those uncomfortable or inexperienced in the water. Teaches basic water skills including gliding with face in water, floating and kicking.
- GUPPY (Advanced Beginner) Swim placement required if you have not taken YMCA swim lesson in the last year. For children able to swim 20 feet without a flotation device. Teachers swimming on front, back and side and taking a breath while swimming.
- MINNOW (Intermediate) Swim Placement required if you have not taken a YMCA swim lesson in the last year. For children able to swim 25 yards on front and back with or without a flotation device. Teaches front crawl with rotary breathing, backstroke, sidestroke, beginning breaststroke.
- FISH/ FLYING FISH (Advanced) Swim Placement required if you have not taken a YMCA swim lesson in the last year. For children able to swim 25 yards front crawl with rotary breathing, back crawl, sidestroke and rudimentary breaststroke. Refines breast stroke, teaches butterfly, open turns and improves other strokes.